Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Ratha Kaneer - Tears of blood (My all time favourite movie in Tamil)

I am neither a fan of Hindi movies or Tamil movies. The reason being not that I want to show off, but because I dont care for modern day movies that are 'old wine in new bottle' stuff. Every movie made is a rip-off of English movies.

However I have exceptions. One such movie is 'Ratha Kaneer'.
M.R.Radha (I can't gauge him because I dont think I've seen of his other movies) is the star of this movie that revolves around issues that are considered taboo even today.
He is a foreign return businessman(or student I can't remember) who marries a local Indian girl who is completely devout to her husband.
Having enjoyed the carefree life he starts visiting brothels and sleeps around with women. His wife meanwhile bears one or two kids (again I can't remember) and befriends a neighbour who sympathizes her situation. M.R.R meanwhile treats her very badly beating her up and accusing her of bearing the children with the neighbour guy.
He ends up getting an S.T.D and loses all his money at the brothel and lavish spending. He turns poor and gets a skin disease that causes him to become blind and his face completely changed.
Even his wife can't recognize him.
In the end he tells her to marry the neighbour itself because he is a 'better human' and dies in a lonely place.
The reason why this is movie is so powerful is because it was made in the 50s or 60s, a time that risque was if the hero touched the heroine on the shoulder.

There are other old tamil movies that have been good, but this one stands out for it's originality.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone who can understand/ translate into Tamil

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home