Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Missing b,c,d,f,h,k,o,p,q,t,x,y,z

I seem to love talking about myself, so for a change I thought I'd talk about my name ;).
Sugavaneswaran Malligarjunan is my full name. Yes, it has 27 letters in it and no, it does not have all the alphabets in it. But over the years I've learnt to live with it and even make fun of myself sometimes.
I say things like "I was a genius with the alphabets in Kindergarden" or "My contact card is the only one that is folded". Sometimes I say "Yeah it's supposed to bring me luck". Othertimes I say "I am glad I didnt get baptised" or "Yeah they can't fit my name on my credit card".

Preetha tells me she won't change her last name to mine because she doesn't want to 'fall off the card'. I think she has a funny sense of humor too!

The most common request I get from people is to tell my name like it's some frakkin Floyd's lyrics. At that point everyone is usually looking at my mouth, with their own jaws dropping...

When I am seated in the waiting room to be called at the hospital I know its my turn when the nurse walks up with my file looks at the name, then squints her eye, turns the file over sideways makes all the while going "Mal...Mal...Ma....". I just get up and say "Yeah that's me".

At the airport security checkup I give my Id card and my boarding pass and have to wait an agonizing 15 seconds while the agent matches letter for letter and usually follows it up with a "That is a long name" Duuhhhhh!

How difficult is it saying 'Sugavaneswaran Malligarjunan' god damnit?

Oh trust me I've heard this from a 4 lettered freak "I betcha get hooked up with girls all the time with a name like that eh?"

But all said and done, it's my name so listen...and listen carefully! Learn to pronounce and love it, chances are you'll be screaming it later! :)

Update: Just found out some car dealer who heard my name over the phone has it written down this way - Suggo Marsgarjuan

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Very funny....I'm just glad you go by Sugu! pffffff

9:43 AM  
Blogger Preetha@Indeed said...

I don't know if Deepthi or Harini remember this but I must have asked them your name atleast 5 times before I finally learnt it.. ;)

9:56 AM  
Blogger Vidhya Kaushik said...

ha ha ha! i go thro the same torture dear --- at the airport, at work, at hospitals, during interviews...everywhere
and i have 27 letters too
VIDHYASHREE ANANTHANARAYANANAN
but i really want to take my husbands name as its small, but not sure about the whole process of changing passport and everything and dont want to take over the hassle.

I did make my name to VIDHYA but even then they cant say my name. I have been thinking lately to give my name as VIDYA for them to easily pronounce and thats exactly what am gonna do going forward.

worse is, when your parents are so proud with your name. Every time i give this look to my mom when i go thro the pain, she tells me how beautiful my name is.

Got another friend with RAMACHANDRAN VENKATASUBRAMANIAN (30 characters) and thats how i pacify myself pronouncing his name.

2:36 PM  
Blogger anonymous said...

thats funny! :)

4:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home