Friday, June 29, 2007

Metrosexualism

I came across this article (very inspiring, by the way) - http://no-url-left.blogspot.com/2007/03/straight-talk.html and it got me thinking about how I've evolved into the metrosexual that I am from what I was about 3 years ago.

I am not going to take any credit away from that article, I think it's a very funny read!

On her recent visit here when my mom asked "Are you dressing up?" (Like I am cross dressing as Barbie), I took the time to tell her what 'dress' and 'clothes' were.

When I walk out to my car she comes out and shouts "Did you take your purse?" I turned back to her and said "Mom it's a wallet, men carry wallets, women carry purses".

Similarly how often back in India, have we folks sat in a crowded bus surrounded by men pressed against each other? (Should I say 'Ewwww' to be all Americanized now?). Or when we hung out as buddies we'd walk with hands on each others shoulders.

Well now when some dude comes up too close I get 'uncomfortable'. I start defining my space, my circle and talk about privacy and its violation there of.

But on a side note one thing I've learned to do is take care of myself. I spend about 45 minutes in the morning (excluding shower time) to groom myself. Patrick Bateman inspired shall we say? I use alcohol free products because alcohol causes skin dryness. I use oil free shower gel only. I use moisturizers, skin scrubs and After Shave Alcohol free Balm. I use herbal masque once in awhile. I do not find it one bit funny or weird. I have my choice of clothes that I like to wear. To "feel good" is the best feeling one can have!

Anyhow I got to get dressed up...err put my clothes on for work now!

1 Comments:

Blogger Harini Sridharan said...

Do you also get a regular pedicure? :p

Your write up reminds me of similar experiences: when I initially took my mom grocery-shopping in the US, she very comfortaby rubbed shoulders with other women around when trying to hand-pick veggies, just like how she would do in our own Koyambedu-types market back home :). I had to pull her away and remind her not to get within a 1 foot radius of anyone.

3:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home