Sunday, June 24, 2007

Sivaji....a big let down!

There are people who've probably hired assassins to eliminate me already for saying this.
I walked into the theatre hoping to see Rajni out-do Baasha. Baasha to me was the greatest Rajni movie and perhaps ranking as my top 5 of all Tamil movies. His entry (Baasha entry was great!!) was good if not great. I was bracing myself to hear Rajni say he was a US returned student (which would have put him in the 23 - 26 age bracket), but he mentions the (Rs. 200 crore (?)) project is a culmination of a 20 year dream, so I think he is probably around 39-40 in the movie.

Lets go with the following categories:
The movie as a whole: I just had to tell myself 'forget the logic, just enjoy the movie'. Its one thing watching Vijaykanth complete a heart surgery using lights from cellphones, buts its entirely another thing watch Rajni loose 200 crores overnight, then get 100 crores the next morning. The fights dragged on and on...I would have prefered if Rajni had avoided fighting and stuck to striking the baddies with his brains...but then I tell myself 'forget the logic' and the superstar bashing up about 50 guys carrying sickles seemed possible!

Rajni: His entry as MGR will remain etched in my mind forever. Sivaji turning to MGR is innovative! His walk isn't the same...when he walked in Baasha, it was 'the walk'. Here he struggles to walk (He's probably 60 now). It is evident that all the fight stunts, the running and the jumps are performed by a stunt double (yep!). Kind of like how Tobey Maguire feels about Spiderman!. His punch-lines like 'Adhiridhille!' or his chewing gum throwing style are all alright, they'll just fade away in time. The one line I did like though was 'Singam singleaa thaan varum'. That was a good one! His comedy wasn't even as good as Chandaramukhi (his scene with Vadivelu in the bedroom where they hear a ghost is one for the gods!). But I found myself laughing at his blonde wig or everytime he uttered an english line 'Rich are getting richer, poor or getting poorer' or the funniest of them all 'It's a coincidence damnit!'.

Raghuvaran: I talk about this guy above all others because he is a great actor, totally underrated, he should be a hero, dont know why he has been cast aside playing small roles. If there is a believable role in this movie, it would be Raghuvaran's

Shriya: One word 'SMOKIN'. In some of the songs it looks like she was made out of sandalwood. She looks hot!


Vivek:
If I gave Vivek in Vaalee a 10/10 and Vivek in Minnale a 9/10 and Vivek playing a spoof of A.R. Rehman (dont remember the movie) a 8.5/10, then Vivek in Sivaji is only 6. Now a lot of people say he has done a great job in the movie, I am not denying it, but where are his 'simple' one liners. His jokes sound too complicated and I am having to think in order to laugh. I think he is excellent when he says 'ammai kunji avichi vechirukanga'...but there are moments when his jokes are forced or are plain complicated to understand.

Suman: Now this dude is the surprise package of the movie. I agree with every critic in saying that his acting is subtle and powerful. Anyone else in his role would have just shouted and shouted and shaken his hand and when he died the audience would have said 'Yeah he needs to shut it up!'. When he walks, you feel like you are watching a believable character (a rick crook), when he talks you feel he didn't get there overnight and that he had a dark past (Kasimedu Adhi). When Suman dies you feel for him...Think they should make a prequel to this movie called Kasimedu Adhi and focus on this character :)

I'd say this movie is good in bits though, like finding cashew nuts in the middle of 'halwa'.

Overall I'd watch this movie once...and I just did!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Harini Sridharan said...

I reely reely liked the movie, but that aside, I am surprised you dint mention :-
1) The multi millionairre being a software engineer :D
2) Nayantara!

10:07 PM  
Blogger Sugavan said...

Nayantara was in the movie...oh that's right in that song...she seems to have toned down hasn't she?

6:29 AM  
Blogger Harini Sridharan said...

She looked gorgeous!

10:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dude, when has rajini movies been about logic? Its all about rajini and rajini alone.

Arunachalam, got him 3000 crores in a month if he can spend 30 crores in a day!!! Annamalai is about him a milkman turning into a millonare overnight, in padayappa he happens to own a a granite mountain !!! Baasha with an autodriver as a don! Any of this believable????? I didnt find sivaji any more "poo suthal" than his previous ones.

But yes I do agree that his "walk" is not as before, but I guess this is how a 58 year old looks and moves, even with graphics and makeup. Its a movie, not magic.

Overall, I oved the movie. His screen presence,charisma and style is something no one else can get. Total entertainment and so worth the time, unlike 99.99% of tamil movies these days!

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home